Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Obamacare Killing the American wallet

A few years back there were rumors of a universal health care plan that would be provided for all Americans. Many people in America voted a president into office for these rumors. "Affordable" while "Keeping costs low" for all of us normal "Joe's" and working stiffs that have insurance provided by our companies.

While that rumor soon became reality and was voted into law. This law is to go into effect starting January 1, 2013. Loudly I hear all the restaurant employees and students and many people that currently don't have health insurance say 'Yes, finally'. BUT do you really understand the laws and the implications of it?

Well today, I here to tell you that the "idea" is a shame and going to take us all to ruin. I know that by me saying this it sounds like a bunch of BS. Or that I'm some corporate still that is over paid and should be punished. Well I'm here to tell you that this is NOT the case. I am a resent college grad with a BS in Network Communications Management. I work full time for a company that does provide health insurance and dental and other benefits, my income is a modest 60k~. Not bad, you might think but take a look at my bills and you would be scratching your head wondering how he can survive. My student loan debt is killing me. I bought a house because i felt that i was throwing away my money on an apartment. My mortgage is only $75 less than the $1425.00 rent that I was paying. My student loans are $800~ per month. And this is just the tip of the bills. Just these two things suck out 25,600 every year.

So now that you have a better understanding of my income, let’s go over the details of my health plan as it currently stands. Currently I pay $24.99 per week ($1300 per/year) just to cover me. (Not bad right) Well, the company I work for have a healthcare and benefits meeting every year in November to go over the costs and give employees the option to make changes to their policies.

So, today we (the department I work in) when to a meeting in a small conference room (me and about 50 other people from other departments) sat or stood were we could for this meeting. The meeting started off as is normally does with the company thanking us for our hard work and that the company is looking out for the better interests of its employees and that the future is looking good for business and that the business wouldn't be what it is without us... Then the rep from the Insurance Company stands up and begins his spill. He tells us some statistics about healthcare and the costs without the insurance and reminds us of their efforts to keep costs low.

So at this point I’m thinking that my insurance plan is going to be reduced that’s to the Obama care going into effect this coming year. Boy was I wrong, Dead wrong. They state that effective January 1, 2013 our weekly rates will be going up, not by $2 or even $10 per week but $50 dollars per week more. This brings my grand total to $74.99 per/week ($3,900 per/year). Ok, breathe now... where’s the low costs and options? (none)

Example of increased Insurance rates

So, the company comes back and states that the rate increase was greatly reduced because the company has footed the bill of about 75% or the increase over all employees. (How nice) But, still a $50 increase in rates or whatever is killer. Where is this extra money coming from that the company now says they are going to foot? I think to myself, they are going to lay off people to cover the costs.
I read many news articles today in fact that read that many were laying off (firing) people to reduce their numbers before the New Year laws go into effect. I didn't think that my company would be part of that too. Until I realized it was already happening and the company was already making these changes I remember to people in my department being handed pink slips. Now it all makes sense.

So what does all this mean for you, or the people that work at say the gas station, your favorite restaurant, or favorite fast food joint, how about the movie nights that many of us enjoy. Costs are going to go up to cover the costs of health insurance were there weren't big health insurance bills before. Where do you think that the company is going to get the money? They are going to fire people and NOT hire people. They are going to raise the costs. You’re going to see your menu prices jump and you movie popcorn (that is already toooooo high) go up even more.

I'm foreseeing that I will not be eating out very often at all. I can't afford to, and then to half to tip on top of that would kill me. No more fast food either, even groceries are going to kill me. I can see a loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly costing me $2 to $3 per sandwich to make myself. Where now I can buy el-cheapo peanut butter and jelly and bread for about $5 total?
<iframe frameborder="0" height="360px" scrolling="no"

                    src="http://act.theteaparty.net/7916/sign-tea-party-petition-to-defund-obamacare-now/wt/?src=widget" width="220px"></iframe>
There is one thing that I hate as it is and could never understand it, why is it that when you go into a Wal-Mart and do your shopping there are like 25-30 cash registers and yet there are only 4-5 open at a time? I foresee that number going down to like 2 or 3 open and maybe reduced hours of operation to cut costs. I really don't like shopping at Wal-Mart but when you live on a tight budget you really can't afford to shop anywhere else.

Okay, I think that I will stop here, give you some time to think things over... Leave a comment below. Tell me what you think? I really want to know. Am I the only one seeing this?

No comments:

Post a Comment